Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Second season Hops

I planted my Cascade hops last year, so this is the second growing season for them. They are monsters compared to last year, with about three times the growth. They outgrew my fence so I built a makeshift trellis, allowing them to keep growing tall.

Look at these beauties!


To build the hop trellis, I ran some garden twine from one tree to another above the fence they were growing on, about 10 feet from the ground. Then I hung smaller pieces of twine from it and tied them to the fence. The result was a very inexpensive hop trellis. The vines immediately attached to the twine, and are already maxing out the trellis!

Compare the growth from last year!

Latest cash in from the fermentors: Vanilla Stout and Pale Ale

5 comments:

yuly said...

It is great to see the fruits of your efforts. It is amazing how fast those hops are growing, as well as Luke’s beer quality, I am becoming a beer lover, faster than I was planning. Good job!!!

Derkey said...

Vanilla Stout sounds amazing!

Anonymous said...

I can attest, the Vanilla Stout is a regal success. Another finely crafted brew that ranks among some of Luke's best (i.e. Shackleton Porter, Chille~ IPA).

Matthew Patten said...

Every spring I consider planting Rhizomes. I have the space, but am still hesitant.

How do you process and calculate the fresh hops to get the desired IBU's?

We should swap some brews through Wynn some time. Right now on hand I have..

Sweet Stout
Belgian Wit
American IPA
Bavarian Heffe
American Pale Ale

Unknown said...

@Matt, to be honest I don't know how to calculate the alpha acid content of home grown hops. I plan to use the Cascade mainly for dry hopping though so they won't have as much an effect on the bittering. When I do decide to use the Fuggles or Cascade for bittering, I'll probably wing it with one batch and see how bitter the beer comes out. I won't have it down to a science, but you can't go wrong with fresh hops!!

I have:
dunkin' stout
decoction mash marzen
maple marzen
german hefe
raisin dubbel

I'm willing to trade some of everything, I'll keep some of each out for you until we get a chance to meet.